Ten Tips To Optimize(SEO) Your Website
- Consider creating interesting content (e.g. top ten list, an article on a topical issue, a success story) or useful tools (e.g. a checklist for assessing service or product quality) that are relevant to your business. This type of content can lead to an increased number of people using and linking to your site.
- Ensure that all of your web pages (or the pages you want indexed) are linked to your main page. Ensure your site has cross links (links that connect to other web pages within your website). This makes it easier for crawlers or bots to navigate your site.
- Use keywords and key phrases regularly throughout your website, including your main page, and page titles and URL.
- Organize the content on your website into well defined topic areas. One idea is to create a web page for each type of product or service you sell.
- Update the content of your website on a regular basis.
- Ask other businesses and relevant and credible organizations to include your website address on their website (referred to as link swaps or reciprocal links). If possible obtain links from external websites to your website that link to individual pages, in addition to links pointing directly to your main page. The more websites that link to your website, the higher your page rank. Keep in mind that the page rank does not depend solely on the number of links. Search engines typically will rank you more highly if relevant or trusted sites are linked to your site.
- Use original and high quality content for your website (i.e. original in the sense that you write the content or you hire a professional to develop the content). Ensure that your home page also contains high quality and relevant content.
- Customize your keywords to suit your target audience. For your potential and existing customers to find your site using search engines, your web pages must contain keyword phrases that match the phrases your target audience types into search queries. Therefore, your keywords need to be selected carefully. Consider using a range of keywords beyond commonly used (or highly competitive) keywords that better targets exactly what users might be looking for. If you only use competitive keywords, you may have a difficult time competing with more established companies. You should consider if people will use more than two keywords to find your product or business as people are increasingly using 3 or more search terms to find what they are looking for.
- Regularly monitor your search results on the main search engines. Type in key words or phrases to see how your business ranks. Use this information to improve your marketing techniques.
Steps for finding the right keywords (or search terms)
- Figure out what your existing and potential customers might be looking for. Ask your current customers what terms they would use to find the products and services offered by your business.
- Brainstorm a list of keywords that are related to your business.
- Check out the competition to see how many other websites are listed in search engines(particularly Google) for that keyword. You can use tools such as Google PageRank
– whichgoes from 1 to 10 (10 being the best ranked) – to see which websites hold the top positions.
- select the best keywords – the ones most suited to your business and target audience.
- Ensure that the content on your website is high quality and is consistent with your keywords.